And together we learn

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Parties and fun

Chloe is turning four this week, so we had a birthday party for her yesterday. I love summer birthdays, because you can throw a party for little ones so easily. Lots of water, lots of kids in swim suits, and everyone is bound to have a great time!

Am I alone in thinking that the trend of $500 kids parties is a little scary? Do they really NEED a bounce castle? Or a pony? Does a party HAVE to have a huge theme? I've seen some pretty elaborate celebrations for tiny tiny kids. But you know what? The kids yesterday had just as much fun (I think) as at any of those much more expensive extravaganzas.

Note to self for the next party: Do NOT try to make a new frosting recipe, one that's a little on the temperamental side (a whipped ganache) and start it 30 minutes before guests arrive. I managed to make it stiff enough after lots of improvising, stuck the cupcakes in the fridge so the frosting would stay firm and crossed my fingers. What I did NOT take into consideration was the 102 degree temperature outside! So you give oozing chocolate frosting cupcakes to 18 small children...well...it's a darn good thing it was a water party!

Labels:

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home