And together we learn

Sunday, June 17, 2007

And we're back, again!

Another loooong delay on my part, but with good reason, I promise! We were out of town (yes, again, I know). I always hate to advertise on the internet that we're going to be out of town, so it's just easier to wait until we're safely home again. Of course, all the people who read this and know me IRL already KNOW we're out of town, and so far none of you have broken in to steal our highly precious collections of random kids toys. But still. A little caution is always a good idea.

I know that we go on a lot of vacations. But please, lest you all get the wrong idea, let me explain. Steve travels so much during his work season, we have oodles and oodles of free tickets. Flying is very inexpensive for us. He's the king of priceline, so hotels are very cheap also. He's self employed, so he has tons of time off in the summer, and traveling is one of his passions. Since it's something we value, we sacrifice other things to make it possible. For example, we drive some of the crappiest cars known to mankind. My van is known as the 'ghetto van', because it is! But they run, and they're PAID FOR, which means that we love them desperately and will drive them forever, if we can. So there are definitely trade offs to everything. Traveling is one of those things that we love to do, so we have found a way to make it possible.

That being said, we just got back from New York! Fun fun times. It was a quick trip, and my mom came with us and got to see the city for the first time. We did a lot of the super touristy things--Times Square, Staten Island Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty, look at Ground Zero, Central Park...all very fun.







Steve the darling and wonderful got ticket for me and my mom to see Wicked. So completely wonderful!!! He watched the kids while we went. Isn't he the greatest??


We got home late last night, and all the kids are very tired. So am I, for that matter! Traveling with three small people, to New York of all places, is not the easiest. Calvin especially is a challenge. He has this new and charming habit of throwing tantrums where he is only content to be writhing on the floor. If that surface happens to be a filthy New York street covered in I-don't-even-want-to-know-what, all the better. I'm really hoping he grows out of this darling stage soon!

So. Good times. We've a few more little jaunts planned, then we'll be staying put for the rest of the summer. Unless of course Steve can persuade me otherwise!

Labels: , ,

4 comment(s):

oh, so jealous...I'm scanning your photos for anything really familiar (no). Did you get to any of our haunts? George's? Ollie's? the castle? Bennett Park?
Because this wasn't a trip for YOU but one in which we could live vicariously THROUGH YOU!
Glad you had fun! See you tomorrow!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:35 PM  

Oh that sounds like so much fun! Cute kids and cute hubby!

I know what you mean about posting on the net that you're leaving. I do it all the time and Ive always wondered about the wisdom of it really.

By Blogger Mrs. Darling, at 8:29 PM  

How fun for you and your family. If it is something that works for your family I say why not! :D The kids will have such memories to share when they are older.

By Blogger Amanda, at 10:32 AM  

How wonderful for you!! I absolutely love NYC. I was just thinking about our trip there last summer. Glad you had such a great time. I'm just slightly jealous! I hope to take our kids there in a few years.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:41 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home