And together we learn

Monday, September 10, 2007

Word 'families'

Everything in our house gets anthropomorphized. Whether it's cars and cheese sticks, candy, or cosmetics, everything gets turned into a family.

So why should phonics be any different? My tactic this last week was Word Families. And by families I mean the absolutely mommy-daddy-baby sense. So for example, I introduced the -old family. A family complete with mommy, daddy, and baby of course, but they have lots of extended family. Chilly cousin C, noisy aunty B, cuddly cousin H, blustering uncle T who always tells people what to do, and stinky, festering uncle M.

Hazel laughed and laughed, got the concept, and asked to play it again and again. So I'd do my best voices, we'd put the appropriate letter in front of the -old family, and act it out. We did the same thing with the -ilds and the -alls. Man, there are a lot of stories that happen with the -alls. So much fodder for a good game of house.

But if turning phonics into a nurturing story game is humanizing it for her and making it fun, well, I have lots more ideas in my head!!

Labels: ,

2 comment(s):

Charlotte Mason would be proud of you. She advocates this type of learning.

By Blogger Mrs. Darling, at 6:05 AM  

my chin just hit the floor! this sounds so fantastic! lucky Hazel to have such a creative mama.
the other night was so much fun!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:50 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home