And together we learn

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

If there was any doubt about the differences between the sexes..


I try to be a very gender-neutral sort of mommy. At least, I started out with ideals like that. You know, not too much pink for the girls, let them have construction vehicles, dolls for the boys, etc. But lately I have come to realize that there are some MAJOR differences between the sexes, and it is not just because of environment.

Most of my experience here deals with girls. My baby boy just turned one, and so really only adds his masculinity to the family during diaper changes. Other than that, he's still pretty neutral. But the girls? What is with their programming?

We have a great big box of toy cars. I called down to Hazel to see what she was doing, and she was playing with them. Great! I thought. So I came down to check on her half an hour later, and she was still playing with cars. How was she playing with them? Each car was lovingly dressed in doll clothes and was being rocked to sleep. Oh, how I wish I had a picture. The expression on her face was so tender and maternal as she lovingly placed each little car in it's bed!

Then Hazel and Chloe were having a snack. They played house for 45 MINUTES with two pieces of cheese stick and a couple of graham crackers! They don't even need dolls to play house! The nurturing and the loving come so naturally to them. I love that about their tender little selves. And I love that they are so inherently female. It is part of their nature to love and care for those around them, even if it is just cheese sticks and toy cars!

How do they know to take care of things like this? How is it such a part of who they are? My little brother is only 9--I have NEVER seen him dress his cars up. He stages elaborate car crashes and pile-ups, and uses dolls as projectiles. They are just different little creatures. How wonderful! In a world where so many people want us to all be the same, I rejoice in the inherent tenderness of my little girls.

1 comment(s):

I so agree. We may try to make them the same but boys an girls are definitly different.

By Blogger Mrs. Darling, at 7:38 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home