And together we learn

Monday, February 25, 2008

Ouch!!

It was a happy peaceful homeschool morning. Hazel was doing her copywork at the kitchen table, Chloe was working on reading with me on the couch, and Calvin was in the other room, coloring.

Suddenly the peace was shattered with one of those cries; the ones where your heart stops for a second because you know it's bad. Calvin staggered towards me, blood dripping from his mouth. I grabbed him and started to clean him up and figure out what had happened. Since he was playing with a pencil, I started to look for cuts in his mouth. Sure enough, there was a huge gash mark in the roof of his mouth.

Then the blood started to come out his nose, also. That's when an injury goes from sad and poor kid, to what on earth do I do? The pencil had pierced through his soft palate to his nasal cavity. That's beyond my comfort level of deal-with-myself injuries, so I threw everyone in the car and we ran to the instacare.

Good news is, after looking him over, we didn't have to go up to Primary Children's for a CT scan. Thankfully. It's just a really really yucky gross mess in his little mouth. So I'll keep a close eye on him, and if he develops any weird secondary symptoms we'll head up there.

Man, this motherhood thing kind of works you over!! Just when everything is running smoothly...BAM! Something hits. I was pretty shaken up for a while, but he's napping and the house is quiet and I had some ice cream, so things are ok now.

Labels:

4 comment(s):

Ohmigosh! Poor kid! What a scary experience. I'm sorry the week had to start out like that. Who knew a pencil could do all that? I was just catching up on your blog - I'm trying your recipe tonight and tell Hazel she is rockstar for being such a good reader! Loves to Calvin too - I hope it heals quickly!

By Blogger Emily, at 2:05 PM  

OH, Becca....I almost passed out just reading about it (I could NEVER be a doctor!). I'm so sorry for you both! Yikes!
PS: let's get together soon!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:08 PM  

Wow... how scary. It is always so frantic when a kid does something like that. Blood coming in large amounts is something very difficult to deal with. I hope he heals up quickly. The mouth does heal fast. I was always amazed how quickly Sophie healed after her pallet surgeries.

By Blogger Sea Star, at 7:17 AM  

oh poor thing!!- and I mean both of you!! That is the kind of accident I am afraid of when I hear that sort of cry, I don't think I could handle it!

so glad to read in a later post that he is doing well now.

blessings,

By Blogger Hen Jen, at 9:03 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home