And together we learn

Monday, January 28, 2008

Snow day

I set off blithely today to got to the chiropractor who was going to fix my poor pregnant messed up pelvis. I was going to drop off the kids at my saintly sister in law's house, then collect them post-adjustment. Well, nature had some very different ideas for my day.

I left the house in the beginning stages of a nice snowstorm. No big deal. I live in Utah, I've driven in the snow for 15 years--just another January day. 1/2 of the way to Emily's I was white-knuckle driving, sliding and fishtailing. 3/4 of the way there, my wheels were spinning as I tried to coax the van up a slight incline. Cars were sliding off the road on all sides. No traction, no visibility, scary times. Turning into her neighborhood, I got 100% stuck. But randomly, 3 people just happened to be walking along and cheerfully gave me a push and I was on my way again. I turned onto her street and did a complete 360 spin and BARELY missed a fire hydrant. Holy cow. I made it up her street by some merciful intervention of heaven, then collapsed in her arms and vowed never to leave again.

Honestly, I've driven in lots of snowstorms. But I've never been as scared as I was today. We were happily snowed in while the storm raged for the next few hours. Emily, being the amazing person that she is, set up their big camping tent and the kids watched a movie in it snuggled deep in pillows and blankets. She let them fill up shopping bags of cans from her pantry, then gave them monopoly money and let them play store. She even let them open an umbrella in the front room and play singin in the rain. I told you she was amazing!! Plus, she fed us and let us play for lots and lots of hours.

But if you stick two two-year-olds together for too long, things start to go downhill pretty quickly. Our kids adore each other, but oh, the sharing drama!! When we came home around 5, the roads were slushy but completely normal-snowy-day stuff. None of this snowstorm of terror stuff from earlier.

So no magic adjustment for the pelvic pain from hell, but that will come soon enough, I'm sure. Next time I leave though, I'll be sure to take a glance at the weather report first!!

Labels:

3 comment(s):

I hail from Oregon where the first snowflake makes the schools shut down. I would never have been able to drive through the stuff you just described. You're my new hero!

By Blogger Mrs. Darling, at 6:16 AM  

I've never had a happier snow day in my life! I don't want you to ever have to go through that driving experience again but I do wish I could get more chances to have you and kids around all day! SO FUN! Thanks, Becca. Can I take them for your next appt?

By Blogger Jevan, at 2:48 PM  

WOWSA! I am SO thankful that you are all okay, and that you have a wonderful family to provide a safe, warm place to hole up and wait it out.

By Blogger Dy, at 1:39 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home