And together we learn

Friday, January 25, 2008

The power of example

I really do know this. But actually DOING what my brain knows is a whole different matter sometimes.

I love my little laptop with it's seductive wireless internet. Far too tempting, far too often. So what do my kids want to do?? Play computer games, naturally. So last night I didn't turn on the computer, but got out the wonderful felt food kit and started to make a batch of pancakes. The kids crowded around to watch, and soon Hazel grabbed her sampler and started to really and truly work on it. We sewed together for about an hour, talked and laughed and had such a wonderful time. I'll post pictures of both projects when they're finished.

This is so basic--why don't I actually put it into practice more often?

3 comment(s):

Ah, so I"m not the only one struggling with kids over computer games! And my own compulsion to check email! It's so true, we lead by example that way. It was actually nice that way when my computer was broken for a week. :-)
Glad you had fun sewing together.

By Blogger Hannah, at 7:27 AM  

How fun - can't wait to see the pancakes.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:47 AM  

Yes this is is so true. I have made a pact with myself not to get on the computer in the evening while the kids are awake and its working well.

By Blogger Mrs. Darling, at 7:55 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home