And together we learn

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Prayers

Calvin has all kinds of random fears. Like scary handsome prince capes, or having his favorite sandals taken off his feet, or the dark. Big time fear of the dark. Since he's all of two, I'm humoring most of these. He sleeps with his light on in his room--no nightlights will do, no sir. Overhead light or no sleeping!! I'll switch it off as I'm heading to bed and he'll sit straight up and yell, "HEY!! LIGHT ON!!"

Oh well. Some battles aren't worth fighting at the moment.

But we were all staying in a hotel the other night, and really needed the light off in order for the girls to be able to go to bed. So as I was helping him say his prayers, I asked that Calvin would be able to turn off the light. He always parrots back exactly what I tell him, so I thought this might work. Kid has a mind of his own! As he repeated back my phrases, he came to that one and did some swift editing. "Calwin, lights...ON!"

Labels: ,

4 comment(s):

Don't worry. I slept with the overhead light on (my parents would turn it off once I was very asleep) for YEARS. I remember it, which should tell you something about how old I was when it was STILL HAPPENING...I can't remember much before age 4-5. I think even when I was about 7 or 8 that light had to be on at bedtime. And I turned out ok...I even turn the light out before going to sleep now!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:25 PM  

What a sweetie. And it's pretty neat that he's got it that he can communicate with God directly. ;-)
Dy

By Blogger Dy, at 5:51 AM  

Cute! Prayers definitely help. I started having my two year old pray that she would be able to start using the potty long before we even began potty training. I'm convinced that's why she was so easy to train.

She was also scared of the dark for a while and would say "scary!" when we turned the light out. I said, "It's not scary, it's just dark." She said, "Oh, it's dark? Ok." And that was that.

By Blogger Lara, at 12:59 PM  

Boo, it's common knowledge that aliens will eat kids when the lights are off. Calvin knows this and isn't prepared to face the untold horrors of these beings, and I for one don't blame him.

By Blogger Jevan, at 2:26 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home