And together we learn

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Shrink, anyone?

So we had a big ward (church) Halloween party last night. My kids are going as Cinderella, a wicked stepsister, and the handsome prince (I sewed, people!! Pictures later). They've been looking forward to their costumes and this party for weeks. So an hour before, Calvin came down with a raging ear infection. He's not going anywhere. Fortunately Steve was home and could take the girls.

Their hair and makeup was all finished, one looked beautiful and the other comical. Chloe is my little one who lives in a make-believe world, and is constantly pretending. She loves Cinderella with a passion. Her hair was swept up with little cascading curls, she had on a beautiful tiara and sparkling makeup.

This is where it gets downright weird. Five minutes before they were going to leave, she jumps up sobbing, "I want to be Chloe, I want to be me!" She wrenched the tiara out of her hair and threw it down, tore the dress off, pulled her hair out of the bun. "I have to be Chloe, I'm Chloe, I'm Chloe!!!" She was sobbing, hysterical.

I hugged her, put on her own clothes, and she was fine. I told her she's always Chloe, no matter what clothes she's wearing, and that if she wants to go dressed as plain Chloe, it's perfect. That calmed the torrent, but let me tell you, that was just plain WEIRD. It was this terrified sort of existential fear for her. She is so ultra sensitive about everything. I worry.

Any advice??

Labels:

2 comment(s):

Well it looks like you did the right thing. Some kids just cant differentiate between real and make believe.

By Blogger Mrs. Darling, at 3:40 PM  

Nope, you handled it just perfectly. They're little, and still learning how to use this filing system we call knowledge. Sometimes, a file won't "fit" somewhere, and they don't know what to do with it. Your hug, your suggestion of alternatives that are a-okay, your reminder that she's okay just as she is, all of it was right-on. Good job, mama!
Dy

By Blogger Dy, at 6:47 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home