And together we learn

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Freedom

I had a beautiful couple of hours off yesterday while Steve was home. I ran up to my sister's house to see her craft room that she's been working on. This is what I saw as I drove up her street.



I racked my brains to remember what patriotic holiday fell on October 27th, but couldn't come up with anything. Then my sister reminded me that her neighbor has a husband returning home from service in Iraq--he's been gone about 18 months and was expected home any minute.

There were hundreds of people lining the street. Flags everywhere. Then he and his family came--on the back of a fire engine!! Cheers, clapping, furious flag waving, and tears. The war in Iraq is such a can of worms--so many different opinions and an overall bad feeling about it for so many. But politics aside, those men are heroes. And being there to welcome one home was humbling and overwhelming to me. I cried, and I still do when I think of the sacrifice he's made.

1 comment(s):

That was us just a few weeks ago! It was so neat - all the neighbors came over and welcomed my brother home. OK - and since it looks like I might be able to comment (finally!!!) CONGRATULATIONS on the little baby. I hope your feel good day turns into many more.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:20 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home