And together we learn

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloweening

So here's the Halloween picture. Humph.


The ORIGINAL plan was to go as the Cinderella cast--stepsister, handsome prince, and of course, Cinderella herself. But after the whole drama of the other night with Chloe's costume, I was a bit nervous. She was all set to go until a few minutes before showtime, at which point she again refused to be Cinderella. I told her to go find something from the dress-up box, and she came up with an apron from a grocery store. She wanted to be a grocery worker. Fine.

Then I tried to put Calvin's handsome prince cape on him. The one I sewed. With a machine and pretty fabric and lots of gold trim and are you getting that I made it all by myself?? Yeah, nothing. He shrieked every time it came near him. But he would wear his crown. Yes, it is made out of paper. Hazel was all about her costume, but being dressed as a wicked stepsister kind of loses something if it's not part of the ensemble.

As the biggest slacker-looking mom of the century, my kids went trick-or-treating wearing an apron and a paper crown.

BUT, they were happy. And really, this is NOT about me looking good as a mom. This was not a battle I was about to start with. So they had a great time and got way more candy than any child should ever have. (I passed out quarters this year. I didn't have to worry about eating them before, and extras are always welcome! Plus, every. single. kid who came by went screaming back to mom "I GOT MONEY!!!!!" Big hit.)

For as long as I can remember, the Halloween tradition has been chili before trick-or-treating. So I cooked up a big old pot and the fam came over. Not that anyone needs dessert on Halloween, but you HAVE to see what my sister Andrea made.


Is she not incredible?? Yes, she sculpted the pumpkins and ghosts out of fondant. Amazing.

Labels: ,

6 comment(s):

That's how it should be. Personally, I love the outfits the kids put together, themselves. And I think the paper crown and turtleneck are a lovely combination. Sure to catch on among the under-eight crowd this year! :-D

Sooo sweet, all of them. I love it!
Dy

By Blogger Dy, at 6:44 AM  

Oh - and the desserts? BEAUTIFUL!

By Blogger Dy, at 6:45 AM  

Hey O love that cake. I wanted to do something ghosty on mine but ran out of time. It was easier to plop that topper on. Your sis did a great job!

And your kids are adorable. Isnt it amazing how kids get ideas that you cant get out of their heads? Oh well your right. Its their day!

By Blogger Mrs. Darling, at 9:37 AM  

Grocery store worker! Hysterical! I wonder if we'll be seeing that costume in stores any time soon. When I was about seven I was supposed to wear a dance costume that was a skunk except that I wouldn't wear the big bushy tail so I was just a little girl in a sparkly black and white leotard. I'm sure my mom was furious with me! It really was a very cute costume and I think she still has it!

By Blogger Lara, at 4:59 PM  

What is it with little boys? We went through this last year. D would not wear a costume at all. So I artfully dressed him in overalls, let him take his tractor with him and called him a farmer. I was happy, he was happy. It's about them, not me.

Cute picture! I love the apron :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:10 PM  

Love Them!

By Blogger Emily Jane Price, at 7:59 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home