And together we learn

Friday, October 13, 2006

In which I reveal just how nerdy I really am...

Steve asked me out on a real date last night. One with no kids anywhere, and even staying out late. How fun is that? But I learned just how nerdy I really am...I always suspected it, but last night confirmed it. One of his favorite bands came to town, on a night when he was going to be home. Perfect, right? So we got my wonderful fabulous sister to come over and watch the babies, and we went out for a night on the town.

I didn't have time to change, so I went dressed in tired mommy. Like I'm kidding anyone. I don't have a look other than tired mommy, so I went looking pretty normal. When we got to the club, I realized that I don't know how to party like a teenager anymore. When I was a teenager, I didn't know how to party like one. I was one of those hopelessly good kids who wouldn't have an idea where to even start getting into trouble. No partying, even when it was time to. Steve, on the other hand, has a wild and crazy past. Walking into a smoky club doesn't intimidate him at all.

So here I am, about 7 years and 3 kids out of place, but very determined to have a good time. Now here's the really dorky confession. I've been to ummm, 2 other concerts in my life. And hated them both. The first one was a Dave Matthews concert that a guy took my to when I was 19. I was shocked, because there was this weird smell everywhere, and I realized after a looong while, that it was (gasp) marijuana. Knock me down with a feather and make me reach for my scriptures! So live music really isn't my thing. For that matter, rock music in general isn't my thing. I'll tolerate it, barely. I love love classical music, but never really developed an appreciation for rock music. Steve tries to play name that band with me, but I'm such a hopelessly lost cause. So that's where I'm coming from with the whole see a band play thing. NOT my thing. But then the opening band came on, and they were amazing. They had so much passion--it was exhausting just to watch. It was a three person group, and they were so intense. The drummer was so alive, and he played an electric xylophone, which was awesome. Their lyrics were really crappy, but the music was innovative and exciting. I was drawn in and actually really enjoyed myself, which was very surprising. I understood why people like this kind of music.

Then the real band came on. I tried to like them, I really did. But they were so not likeable!!! They played some softish stuff, then it just got loud. And it didn't stop. Loud that filled up every corner of my body and didn't leave room for any other feeling. I was just filled with loud, pounding loud. And you couldn't escape it, either. Even plugging my ears, hard (see, I told you I'm a complete dork), the sound still filled me up. I was VERY relieved when Steve wanted to leave early. He wasn't into it either, although the noise didn't bother him like it did me.

So we partied like we were teenagers, but I'd be just as happy next time partying like a suburban mommy, cause I'm dorky like that!

3 comment(s):

That sounds just like me! I always thought that if I were to consume as many calories as alcohol has, I would much prefer it to be a milkshake. Clubs give me a headache for all the smoke. And ditto on the clothing as well. I'm glad I'm not the only one! :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:50 AM  

I don't like loud either! We don't go to clubs or anything like that. We have date night every week-for my sanity!! and we just go somewhere to eat (so nice, quiet, I'm not jumping up every 5 seconds to get something for someone..) and then we almost always go to Barnes and Nobles. How boring is that??? but, hey, makes us happy. Loud music gives me a headache!

Jenny in Ca home is where you start)

By Blogger Hen Jen, at 1:39 PM  

I'm so glad I'm not the only one!

By Blogger Becca, at 8:34 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home