And together we learn

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Just a leeetle OCD

I have this really really bad habit of obsessive reading. Once I start a book, I do not put it down until I've finished. Non-fiction books I'm fine with. I can read those at my leisure. But fiction? Forget about it. As soon as I've cracked the pages, I'm lost to the world. This means that instead of doing laundry, or the dishes, or much of anything else, I'm reading. MUST CONTROL MYSELF!!!!

The upside is that I'm a ridiculously fast reader and can finish most books in a day. But oh, the chaos that awaits me now. I'm paying for my lack of discipline.

I normally make it a rule to NOT check out fiction from the library. But there's a neighborhood book club (blatant justification to follow). Am I supposed to deny my brain an opportunity to discuss literature with the women in my community? No! I must broaden my horizons!

So today's book was Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. It is absolutely riveting and beautiful. This is the kind of book that transports you to a completely different world--in this case, rural China during the time when footbinding was a common ritual. So if you need a great sisterhood/friendship/emotional journey book, this is a very good one and I highly recommend it.

Just don't try to read it all in one day. Your family will thank you for it.

10 comment(s):

I'm here from Owlhaven. It seems we share an "issue". I am a tad OCD when it comes to reading too. It's usually blogs for me though. I get started at post #1, and just can't stop.

By Blogger 5KidMom, at 8:54 PM  

I love reading too. My roomate gave me a book to borrow, and was shocked when I handed it back to her the same night. Your book for today sounds good.
here via Owlhaven

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:48 PM  

Here via Mary's site too...
I too am that way with books.

By Blogger Butterfly Mama, at 9:53 PM  

Just felt compelled to stop by after seeing your comment on OwlHaven's blog. I quit reading fiction for exactly what you mentioned and I can't multitask either. But I just couldn't control how wrapped up I get in books so for now, don't read "good" books.

By Blogger Truth, at 10:01 PM  

I love to read too. And I have been known to polish off a good fiction book in one night, too. I hate when I do that..I would rather savor it then keep reading when I am exhausted!
I'll look for your recommend..always looking for a good read!

Jenny

By Blogger Hen Jen, at 1:28 AM  

I too will keep an eye out for that book. I always love a new read.

I make a real point of staking out at least 30 minutes a day to sit out in my back yard and read. It might be longer, but it has to be at least that long - my hubby knows that is my special time and respects this.

I have suspected OCD tendencies in myself for some time but not quite the way you describe. I mean seriously weird stuff, like I need to walk on cracks even numbers of times with each foot. And fold towells a certain way. And hang clothes on the line only with pegs matching the colour of the clothes. The 3 different coloured carpet tiles at work totally do me in managing to step on even numbers of grey, navy and blue tiles each day. OK I am a freak.

By Blogger theotherbear, at 5:08 AM  

otherbear, that is too funny! My family has got big time quirks like that. My sister has to carry exactly 8 barrettes in her pocket always. If she doesn't have pockets, she makes her husband hold them. My aunt has to have her body balance, so if someone bumps her on one side, she hits herself on the opposite side to even things out!

By Blogger Becca, at 7:14 AM  

It has been awhile since I have done a book in a day! Now blogs, ehem, I could read and read and read...

By Blogger momteacherfriend, at 12:32 PM  

Hey, thanks for all your comments over at my place yesterday!!

Mary

By Blogger owlhaven, at 10:29 PM  

Oooh, I do that too with the bump one side, have to bump the other. The time when it works best is when hubby absent mindedly gives one foot a rub while we're watching tv. When he realises, he groans because he knows he has to rub the other foot, for the same amount of time, or I will feel crooked. heh. My cousin's the same - she has to have the volume on the radio on a level that is an even number. It so must be genetic, because she had never told anyone about this until her son said he needed the TV louder because the level wasn't a multiple of 5!

By Blogger theotherbear, at 11:48 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home