And together we learn

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

When the cat's away, the mice make pancakes

Today was a breakthrough in the realm of the kitchen. Not a practical one for most sane people, but for me--it was genius! We've all heard of once a month cooking, where you do all the chopping and prep work just once. Well, I'd like to introduce you to once a day cooking.

NOTE: My husband is perpetually gone, and my kids are 4,3, and 1. We can so get away with things normal families can't.

I made a big batch of pancakes this morning at Chloe's request. Big hit with everyone. Lunch rolls around, and the request is--pancakes. So we cut up some fruit, and voila, lunch is served. 5:30 ish and I'm starting to make pasta sauce with fresh tomatoes and basil from the garden. What's that? You all want pancakes??? Ummmm, zero prep time vs. 30 minutes in the kitchen...that's a no brainer. Pancake dinner is served!

So I sliced cucumbers, tomatoes and carrots and did peanut butter rolled up pancakes. One quick minutes cooking--three meals! I feel like I just got away with something slightly illegal.

This has to be the easiest meal prep day ever. Of course, when Steve is home I would never ever pull such a stunt. He eats nothing but restaurant food when he's traveling, so when he's home I make sure he has some good home cooking. But when the cat's away....it's so much easier to play!

1 comment(s):

Sounds like my kind of meal planning! I am seriously challenged when it comes to meal planning. I don't like big meals, so I rather prefer lunch type meals, light snacks. When hubby is not home we tend to eat 'creative' meals too.

have a good week,
Jenny in Ca

By Blogger Hen Jen, at 1:21 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home