And together we learn

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

And today's MVP is...

I'm imagining that my life is some kind of a sports match, with the kids on one team and me on the other. The game has strategy and lots full-body tackles, no clear rules and definitely no one who calls fouls. I wonder who's winning? Today it's unclear.

Points for my team:
* Successfully completed MANY errands, including 3 different banks and a visit to my elderly FIL.

* Great homeschool unit study on fall and apples (how I wish I had my camera). We learned about photosynthesis and chlorophyll, acted out leaf senescence, stopped at a fruit stand for lots of varieties of apples, made applesauce, made apple prints from both the cores and half apples, and read lots of apple books.

* Fixed dinner for my mom and little brother and sister. Since she fed us last night, I'm trying to return the favor. Homemade spaghetti sauce and meatballs, applesauce and zucchini bread for dessert.

* Saved the baby from grabbing the butcher knife from off the counter. (Actually my mom made this save, but she's so playing for my team).

Then there are the points for THEIR team:
* Spilled--one cup of orange juice (the baby is now tall enough to reach things on the table)

* Broken--one crockpot, one dishwasher rack.

* One loaf of homemade bread, smeared all over with an inch of peanut butter. On the top. When asked WHY???, Chloe replied, "because the mommy tablespoon and the baby teaspoon were playing ice skating." Of course! Why didn't I think of that!

* Tantrums. Several, in all varieties.

* One fall off a chair resulting in bottom teeth going all the way through the front lip. Much blood. Many tears.



So who's winning? Calvin is definitely the MVP of their team. With the exception of Chloe's lovely peanut butter job, he racked up all the other points. Although Hazel did try with a couple of pouts and whines, she never really did score nearly as well as the baby. He is scoring so many points, I'm totally getting my trash kicked running defense.

I need a coach! Or maybe I can sit tomorrow out on the bench and send in the sub?

5 comment(s):

The teaspoons were iceskating? Now thats an imagination. How cute!

By Blogger Mrs. Darling, at 10:45 PM  

I had to ask hubby "What's an MVP?" He says "Most Valuable Player". Must be a Nth American thing (he's from Canada, me from Australia) as I have never heard of this term.

The peanut butter icecapades would have broken me after having made bread. Oh poor you. Although as Mrs Darling says, it is rather imaginative. It's just that it's also a bit depressing to live through!

I'd be most disappointed over the broken crockpot! After all you can always bake more bread. I hope you didn't have plans to cook with that crockpot tonight...

OK, I just read your post again and realise the worst bit was teeth right through the bottom lip - oh are you being tested, or what! You're so good for keeping your sense of humour about this sort of thing.

Tonight is Wednesday and I had my little brother over for dinner, he comes every Wednesday. I told him about all these blogs I'd been reading lately (this being one of them) written by mothers, and how fascinated I was by their patience and control. So good on you, you were a topic of conversation in my household today, in a good way. I admire you :)

By Blogger theotherbear, at 5:37 AM  

Oh, that's funny. My husband was a big football player and we approach parenting with that strategy from time to time. :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:39 AM  

theotherbear, thanks so much for your sweet comments! If only patience were a strong point around here. It seems like most days I'm hanging on by a slim thread. But it's great to know I was the topic of conversation in Australia!

By Blogger Becca, at 7:44 AM  

Hmmm..sounds like it could be a tie, but as the mommy, I think you better step up your game.

By Blogger Truth, at 10:03 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home