And together we learn

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Surprising

I'll be the first to admit it--I didn't want Obama to win. There's a lot that he says that I don't agree with. Don't agree with McCain, either, but what do you do?

So I was very surprised this morning at what just happened.

My girls were asking me about who won the election; they knew I didn't vote for Obama, and they've listened to all the political chatter around here for weeks. I told them that it is President Obama, and they were disappointed. But then I startled myself by starting to cry.

We've been reading the Addy American Girl books together, so they're familiar with slavery and discrimination. As I told them that we have a black man as the president-elect, I cried over the enormity of it all. I don't agree with his policies. But his speech last night was inspiring, and the thing that he has accomplished transcends partisan politics. I didn't expect to cry over this. But wow, how far we've come. I'm glad my kids get to grow up in a world where race isn't the all-important thing it once was.

So even though he wasn't my pick, I'm very grateful to have seen this day.

5 comment(s):

I feel EXACTLY the same way. Coulda written this post, except that we haven't read the Addy books yet. :-)

By Blogger Hannah, at 5:51 PM  

Hi, I'm one of the LDFR sisters and just found your blog. I just wanted to say hi.

It should be an interesting 4yrs, that's for sure.

Karie

By Blogger Karies place, at 8:11 PM  

I couldn't have said it better. He wasn't my choice, but how incredible to see him win teh election? Just amazing!

By Blogger Brandie, at 9:20 PM  

My girls had similar reactions - Maeve cried and Aylish was mad. So we had a great discussion about how we will respect President Obama and pray for him that the things he will do will be good for our nation. We also talked about how we need to pray for our family and the Church so we may endure any hardships or trials that may come - which we have already seen happening now in the last few days.

By Blogger Michelle, at 10:20 AM  

I spent the last few weeks before the election kind of depressed and bothered and wasn't even sure I wanted to vote, because I was so unclear as to what I wanted...who to vote for...and how come we only get two choices?!?!?

But that night, as I was sitting there watching the speech, I too cried. It was weird. I have never cried for something like this..

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:15 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home