And together we learn

Monday, October 06, 2008

This and that and the state of my sinuses.

I'm on day 10 of the Cold from Hell. This one deserves it's capital letters, as evidently it has decided to stay. Urrgh. I'm getting really tired of sinuses that feel like a semi truck has planted itself firmly up there. Today, to break up the routine amalgamation of essential oils, tylenol, mucinex, massage, and fist shaking, I bought a Neti Pot.

Oh, how far I've come in this journey to be a little more natural!! 2 years ago I would have laughed at the thought of a nasal wash that comes dripping out the other nostril. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not sure if it's an attempt to embrace natural cures, or the willingness to try anything if I can only breathe again.

Results? Interesting. Not horrible. Not the miracle cure I was hoping for, but definitely has it's place.


Other news besides the state of my sinuses. Like you need any other news. Surely this is a fascinating enough topic for anyone!! Anyway. We had two nights in a row here with only our 4 little people and us sleeping in the house. First time since August that's happened. Why yes, things have been very busy around here!

My wonderful sisters and I picked apples (can't believe I forgot the camera) and canned them. We did 54 quarts of sauce, dried some, did apple butter and apple syrup, and only got to half of the apples we picked. Holy cow, that was a lot of apples!! We took the kids picking with us. The girls worked steadily, and Calvin roamed and played underfoot. Every time we looked at him, he was munching on an apple. Only when we started picking up the bruised apples underfoot did I realize what he had been doing. There was one bite taken out of about 25 apples, and periodically in our buckets we'd find another apple missing one bite. Calvin! (and please say that like you're Jerry Seinfeld saying "Newman"!)

Hazel has the very worthy goal of not praying for the same things night after night. Admirable. I try to do the same thing myself. Tonight, she did herself proud, and I think the Lord himself must be pleased with this request:
"Please bless that Verdi will write more beautiful music, or if he's dead, make his great-great-great-great-great-great grandchildren write some because I like it."

Wowza to that one!

4 comment(s):

We really like our neti pot. If you start using it at the first sign of a cold, it might have more impressive results. We've been hearing all about the apples from Tyler who is visiting for the elk hunt. Impressive canning projects! Our annual cider party with our neighbors is scheduled for this weekend. Wish we could find the same amount of apples you guys found.

By Blogger Flattail Family, at 10:06 AM  

P.S. Do you use a saline solution for your neti rinse? We use 1/8 tsp. of salt/pot (assuming pots are a standard size).

By Blogger Flattail Family, at 10:07 AM  

You didn't by chance read my little post recently about my husband and the Neti Pot, did you? :-) I think the key is to do it regularly (i.e. one time will not be the charm ...)

LOL about Hazel's prayer!!

By Blogger Hannah, at 8:21 PM  

April, I don't have a link to your blog. Could I read it, please??

By Blogger Becca, at 11:27 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home