And together we learn

Thursday, October 09, 2008

An olfactory void

The cold, it does not end. Ever, I'm convinced. But that's not good positive thinking, so I need to visualize a healthy Becca, an energy-filled Becca, a Becca who can...smell.

My sense of smell is absolutely 100% gone. Disappeared and not coming back anytime soon. It's the weirdest feeling to suddenly be without one of your senses.

I got into one of those autumn-y moods yesterday where there just had to be baking, and lots of it. So I made apple bread with apple butter spread, a roast chicken with rosemary and lemon, chocolate mousse, and roast potatoes. Delicious, all of it, no?

Unfortunately, I couldn't say. It all tasted the same to me, but my sisters and children say it was delicious indeed.

It's a little surreal--I can't smell Sammy's little velvet head, or the smell of warm leather when I get into Steve's car, the scent of my body wash in the shower, or the crisp autumn air. It's a bit like living in a void. But there are some definite advantages--changing toddler poopy diapers and washing out revolting milk sippy cups has never been easier! But honestly, NOTHING is registering in my brain, even when I'm not stuffed up. Someone please tell me this will end someday. Can you imagine having a sense permanently taken away? I wonder which one I would choose if I had to.

1 comment(s):

Re: your food. Oh yum, yum, yum! (How do you get to always have your sisters around? I can see how doing something like this would be much easier and more inspiring with hands to divide the work and more mouths to enjoy it!)

Re: your nose. Yuck, yuck, yuck! Terrible. At least it's temporary, though. My vote for the worst loss would be sight. Have you read Carol Decker's story? http://sccsdecker.blogspot.com

By Blogger Hannah, at 4:26 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home