And together we learn

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Pledging

My sister has guilted me into updating. She just told me I need to 'be the blogger I know you can be.'

With encouragement like that, how can I not post?

Is it just me, or is everyone So Dang Excited for Christmas this year? I'm almost giddy with the anticipation this year, and I'm not really sure why. Sister Andrea and I had a very grown up conversation about all the unrest in the country and the divisiveness and yearning subliminally for the peace and love of Christmas. All in all, it was quite the deep analysis of life. But whatever the reason, I'm just plain happy about it.

Here's a little secret. (((i'm listening to Christmas music in the car. before Thanksgiving.))) sssshhhh. I know it's totally against the rules, but I just can't seem to help myself! Plus, a little Rudolph goes a whole long way to peace and joy in the backseat.

We've been listening to a lot of this amazing CD--it's the Tabernacle Choir with the Kings Singers, and it's absolutely transcendent. This is the kind of music that fills your whole body with joy and radiates happiness. Buy this, then be really really grateful.

I'm kind of a pseudo-crafter. I have all kinds of aspirations, and I buy patterns and supplies and fabric and such, then, well.....let's just say that I have lots of places to start. My mom is an accomplished, fabulous seamstress. Like she can make wedding dresses kind of seamstress. She made almost all of our dresses growing up; Christmas and Easter both meant new dresses for every one of the girls in the family. But somehow, none of us ever learned how to do more than sew a pretty basic seam. We've tried sister sewing classes with mom, but didn't get past the second lesson. But we all want to know how!

So in Ikea the other day, while discussing our sad lack of abilities, I stopped and turned to my sisters with one arm outstretched. They put their hands on mine, and together we pledged to each complete 2 honest-to-goodness sewing projects by February 12, 2009. I'm going to make dresses for my girls, Andrea is making an apron and a skirt for herself, Stephanie is making pajamas, and Emily is making (I THINK) an apron and a skirt. (Em wasn't with us, she pledged after the fact).

Later that night, I sent Drea a text pledging to make homemade marshmallows this Christmas. We always talk about it then never do. So this year, it's been pledged! It will be done, and I will follow up with photos of every single project so the blogging community can hold me accountable.

2 comment(s):

Awe! I wish I had sisters!

Don't ya just love Ikea? :)

By Blogger Becca, at 8:59 AM  

I pledge to support you in your pledge. That's all I can commit to right now. In the future maybe I, too, will make a crafty pledge.

By Blogger Amy Jones, at 10:12 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home