And together we learn

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Cooking and more cooking

Can I just mention how much I love Thanksgiving? A holiday devoted to family, gratitude, and very good food. Definitely one of my favorites.

Today was pie day with the sisters. In complete pandemonium, we had 5 of us making 5 kinds of pie (12 in all), 1 salad, a galette, and 2 frozen pizzas. Simultaneously!!!

I have the turkey brining, ready to roast in the morning. I've so far made apple, leek and sausage sourdough stuffing, orange ginger cranberry sauce, the pies, the spice rub for the sweet potatoes, and a gorgeous butternut squash and caramelized onion galette.

I used smitten kitchen's recipe for the pumpkin pies. I'll let you know tomorrow if they were worth the extra (LOTS) of steps and dirty dishes.

My kids are turning into little miniature foodies, and it cracks me up. They love to help me cook and weigh in on whether something needs more rosemary, or perhaps a pinch more salt. Hazel decided that she enjoys brussel sprouts, and that fresh ginger is one of her favorite smells.

Calvin will fixate on an object and carry it with him wherever he goes for a day or two. Usually it's a small car, but it's been things as random as kitchen utensils--a slotted spoon, a couple of days a wooden spoon. Lately it's been a large six inch tall wooden letter K. It comes with him everywhere. To the bank. In bed with me when he creeps in during the wee hours of the morning. Today I had to go outside to pick some sage, and he wanted to come with me. "But let me first get my K, just in case."

You just never know when you're going to need an emergency letter K!

He took the K, a U and a W to my mom's this morning, because that spells Jane. I love this kid!!

2 comment(s):

Oh how I love that kid of yours! I can't wait to hear how everything turns out. Your homestead sure did smell good today!

By Blogger Newt, at 12:22 AM  

LOL about the "K"!

Turkey brining really is the best, isn't it? My mom did it that way this year and it was scrumdiddylumptious!

By Blogger Hannah, at 12:16 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home