And together we learn

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Do they come with a mute button?

Can we talk for just a minute about toddler boys? Because somehow I'm just not understanding mine very much right now. Are they supposed to be so. very. different. from their sisters? The endless running from one end of the house to the other, the hopping, the jumping off anything that is elevated?

And then there's the stubbornness. And the sheer physicalness of himself. He needs to wrestle, hard, every day. And if he doesn't get it, he'll walk up to me or his sisters and just start hitting over and over until we engage him. We saw my BIL tonight and Calvin was overjoyed to see a male--couldn't start the wrestling fast enough.

Did I mention the stubbornness? It's 10:00 and the kid just barely fell asleep, and not from lack of trying on my part! Worst part is, he was up LAST night until 10:30, was a raving beast of a baby all day, refused to nap, and then was on crazy whirlwind mode until just now. I AM READY TO TEAR OUT MY HAIR!!!!! And he laughs at my punishments, either that or they turn into 20 minute death battles of will. I am tired.

It is such a merciful thing that God made the two year olds cute. If this kid didn't have big brown eyes and a headful of curls, I'm not sure what might happen!

Labels: ,

3 comment(s):

Answer: yes, they are. :-)
It really is a brain wiring thing (see The Wonder of Boys or Bringing Up Boys for more info. Terribly helpful to a female raising a male!)

Also, I hate to suggest it, but have you considered giving him some "Special Time" -- I know it's hard to wrestle when you're pregnant but if you could maybe give him 15 min. or so a day where you play the way HE wants, like trying to get each other's socks off or some such physical play, that might help meet the need more than punishment right now.

Been there!!!

By Blogger Hannah, at 11:41 AM  

Hmmm...sounds like my son. Literally bouncing off the walls.

But he is much calmer outside. So I try to get him out as much as possible to dig and climb and just be, regardless of the weather. It helps a lot. And when it isn't possible...well, we all regret it.

Dana
Principled Discovery

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:17 PM  

I don't think it stops after toddlerhood! It's a boy thing. We always say cuteness is a survival mechanism.

By Blogger Cellista, at 7:16 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home