And together we learn

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Some days are jewels

Every now and then, things click and a day is elevated from plain good to pure magic. There are days, and then there are the days that shine in your memory as perfect. Yesterday was one of those days.

We went to Sarah's for our biweekly history project. We made a model of the Nile, sculpted crocodiles and pyramids, flooded it and planted crops in the silt. The kids loved the project, and it was the picture perfect homeschool moment for me. I'm so glad we get to do these projects together--it makes everything so much more fun for the kids, and me, too. We planned out the next couple of months, but decided that we're going to hold off on mummifying a chicken until our boys are 11, 10 and 9.


After the project, we drove up the canyon--it was such a stunning fall day. Leaves turning, deep blue sky, warm but not hot...perfect. We hiked a ways then came to a gorgeous grotto, where we had lunch. Sarah's got more pictures of the grotto (I forgot my camera!!) The big girls sketched while the little boys played. Calvin mostly fussed, but there's gotta be a bit of reality someplace, right?



Amazing day. Once we came home, the littles napped, then the girls painted pictures with our new watercolor crayons. Meanwhile, I made a big batch of applesauce and started salsa.

Happy sigh. These days don't come along often, but when they do they give me faith that this path that we're taking is actually working. When I commented to my girls on what a great day, Hazel could only find Disneyland days to compare it to. And when you're 5, that's saying a lot!

Labels: ,

2 comment(s):

That sounds like a wonderful day! I love the pic of the girls sketching.

By Blogger Mrs. Darling, at 7:58 AM  

You come up with the coolest projects...sculpting the Nile? Awesome. Can I come when you mummify the chicken? Seriously though, what a fabulous day. I can't believe how full your days are too...no wonder Hazel compares them to Disneyland!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:31 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home