And together we learn

Monday, August 06, 2007

Bounteous blessings

I am swimming in vegetables. Beautiful, organic, LOCALLY grown vegetables. And it is such a wonderful feeling!! After reading Lindsey's wonderful series on food, I bought the Barbara Kingsolver book Animal Vegetable Miracle. Oh, so wonderful. I so recommend it.

So I'm trying to take the baby steps that I can to incorporate local and organic foods into our diet. Fortunately, my garden is giving me a lifetime supply of zucchini, scallop squash, beets, swiss chard, and any herb you can imagine. And in a week or two, I will be drowning in tomatoes. Then, my BIL is volunteering for a local CSA (community supported agriculture, where you buy into a farm share of produce for the summer). He borrows our van to deliver produce once a week, and in return gets a double full share. Since they have one very small baby, they share this bounty with us and we get a full share a week. Hello, win win win for everyone involved?? I think so too.

So today they brought me:
3 heads broccoli
1 kohlrabi (any ideas what to do with this one??)
big bag of salad greens
huge bag of chard
6 squash--striped and yellow
1 ginormous make it into zucchini bread zucchini
1 eggplant
2 heads of cabbage, purple and green
6 ears corn
1 big scallop squash
6 beets
6 yellow banana peppers
1 poblano pepper
4 red peppers of some kind, probably hot
1 jalapeno
4 tomatoes
15 red and yellow potatoes
3 turnips
1 rutabaga (more help?)
2 peaches
3 plums
2 apples
1 pint raspberries
1 pint blackberries

HOLY COW!!! I just made a menu trying to incorporate most of this into the next week. We're going to be loving life. Does anyone want to come over for dinner?

Labels:

5 comment(s):

oh! the kohlrabi....just slice and lightly salt and eat. One of my favorites, by the way. I'm so envious....will you ask him if we can buy a till-the-end-of-season share, please!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:40 PM  

Are you going to be canning any of the stuff? It sounds delightful!

By Blogger Mrs. Darling, at 7:45 AM  

Yum.

Try this recipe.
http://www.gretchencooks.com/recipes/411_Spicy_Kohlrabi

By Blogger theotherbear, at 4:40 PM  

Hurrah for you! :) You will love it.

Enjoy!!!!

By Blogger TheNormalMiddle, at 2:49 PM  

Holy cow is right!!! How wonderful that you get to enjoy so much wonderful produce!

By Blogger Amanda, at 5:33 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home