And together we learn

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Playboy bunnies

I don't usually blush when I read children's books. I don't usually have to gasp and giggle and edit pages and pages out. But I did with this book.



No mere recap can do justice to this book. Must quote verbatim.

"Although he has already fathered several different litters this spring, the buck is ready to mate again. He chooses a young doe, dancing around her to see if she is interested. At first, she hesitates, not quite sure. Then, with a quick flick of her little white tail, she joins in the game. They chase each other around and around, this way and that, lolloping and leaping through the long grass.

(So far, still ok, right? Just wait)

"It is not long before the complicated game is over. The rabbits sniff each other, their noses twitching, ready to mate. They are quite safe--there are no rival males around, and the rest of the rabbits are grazing safely in the next field. The doe gives the signal, crouching down low on her belly and lifting her hindquarters into the air. The buck climbs onto her to mate. Afterward he topples over, roly-poly, onto the ground beside her. They rest quietly, side by side, a soft, brownish-gray bundle in the long, green grass. From time to time, the buck gently licks the doe, his pink tongue tenderly preening her face and ears. They doze peacefully together, warming themselves in the late spring sun."

As Steve put it, all you need is for the guy to roll over and smoke a cigarette. I'll never think of playboy bunnies the same way again.

Labels:

8 comment(s):

Whoa! That's one I won't be getting for the grandchildren. Thanks for the warning.

By Blogger Unknown, at 2:01 PM  

Oh how funny. I'm glad I'm not the only one who reads children's books with an adult mind from time to time. What strange writing... And woo-hoo! I can comment again!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:14 PM  

Now that's just wrong. I really didn't need to know that much about bunny lovin'.

By Blogger Millie, at 11:29 PM  

Oh now that is just funny! I dont even want to think of the questions Peter would ask if I read that to him! LOL

By Blogger Mrs. Darling, at 4:45 AM  

Oh my goodness! LOL! No wonder you had to edit! :D

By Blogger Suzanne, at 10:03 AM  

Becca--first, WE MISS YOU! second, ....wait...hold on a minute while I lift my jaw up off the floor...thank you for the heads up about the bunny-shocker.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:21 AM  

That is just wrong for a childrens book. I don't care how straight forward you are with your kids, that is just waaaaaaayyy too much information for kids to have to digest! Yikes!

By Blogger Amanda, at 9:37 PM  

Oh goodness! I thought the Gail Gibbons Rabbits book had too much information about mating.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:55 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home