And together we learn

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Mountain air

The weather has been sweltering. Stifling. Downright yucky. So we decided to flee to the mountains to enjoy a cool respite. What a blessing to be able to drive a quick bit and reach beauty like this.


My little brother came with us--the kids adore him.





We took a picnic of bread and fruit and cheese. The air was cool, and after a quick sprinkle, all the flowers released their heady scents; mint and sage filled the air. We went on a quick hike and counted wildflowers, chased chipmunks, listened to bird calls, and smelled all the different plants. Such a perfect day!!

Then, to celebrate Chloe's birthday, we came home and had a barbecue with lots of family. Grilled salmon, marinated in soy sauce, ginger, garlic, brown sugar and orange juice. Grilled veggies, baked potatoes, salad, and rosemary bread. Oh. My. Goodness!! So much fun.

I gave Chloe a present that she was thrilled with, but all the guests thought was just a little odd. A child sized mop, dusting cloths, and her own toilet scrubber! She is so excited to play Cinderella, and I'm excited to get these girls working more. But wouldn't you so much rather give a practical, yet very welcome gift instead of yet more cheap plastic junk?

Labels: ,

6 comment(s):

::cheering and applauding at Chloe's birthday gifts::

I wish I'd thought of that. :)

By Blogger Millie, at 7:40 AM  

How fun to go escape to the mountains. Those wildflowers are beautiful!

I love your gifts for Chloe! My 4 year old is obsessed with vacuums and we got him a pretend one a few years ago. He "vacuums" along side me every time and one day when he's big enough, he'll do it for real and won't think a thing about it.

Your food always founds fabulous! Yum, I want to come! :D

By Blogger Suzanne, at 12:41 PM  

Gorgeous photos! That's our trick too, flee to the canyons!

That's an awesome birthday present. My boys help out lots, but would probably be even more excited to have their own cleaning "stuff".

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:16 PM  

in fact I might buy those exact same gifts for my husband's next birthday ;)

By Blogger theotherbear, at 5:26 PM  

The day sounds beautiful and the photos are wonderful. Happy Birthday to Chloe!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:21 PM  

Great work.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:50 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home