And together we learn

Thursday, July 19, 2007

This and that

There's nothing earth-shattering going on here, but I wanted to post a quick update to the old blog. The days weave together in a jumble of laundry and sprinklers and popsicles and scraped knees. Sometimes it's hard to remember what day of the week it is. You gotta love summertime!

The other night we had leftover salmon tossed with pasta, sauteed zucchini, swiss chard, and beet tops, all from the garden. Yum! I have so many tomato plants, I'm not sure what will happen when they all start to ripen.

I have mice in the garden (we border an open field), so lots of the tomatoes got nibbled and of course I left them where they were. This year, there are so many volunteer tomato plants, I've been pulling them up like weeds! But I left around 30 in the ground, and they're starting to get little green tomatoes on them. Happy little gardening surprises.

The girls can recognize mint, basil, dill, oregano, sage, parsley, and lemon verbena by sight and smell. They know what a tomato plant smells like. They are eager each morning to check on the progress of our little red peppers and scallop squashes. I didn't ever realize just how fulfilling a garden is with kids!

Calvin is in that language explosion stage. Every day, more and more words. It always amazes me that language acquisition is so natural--that a baby can progress so rapidly to using abstract concepts and can actually convey a message. He's saying his prayers now, with help. He'll parrot back the last word that I say, and is always quick to say thank you for Daddy, milk, and his blanket, mimi.

I'm sure something exciting and oh so bloggable will happen soon. In the meantime, we're loving the lazy days of summer.

Labels:

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home