And together we learn

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Love

So much to write! Yesterday was the BEST birthday of my life, without a doubt.

We had that glorious dinner on Friday night, then on Saturday Steve took me for a spa day. We got pedicures and facials together and it was so relaxing and indulgent. I'd never had either before, and I'm afraid I'm hooked. Aaaaaah. Spending two days in a row with him alone with no kids was such a treat. Coming home from the spa felt I felt so indulged and cherished and loved. We were going to play some games with my sisters after dinner and have a relaxing evening at home. Or so I thought.

The kids were over at my mom's, so we ran up to pick them up. We were all the way in the house and I saw this


and heard "SURPRISE!!!!!!!", and I realized that I have the best husband/mother/sisters/sister-in-law/friend ever. Family came. Friends came. My dear dear homeschool friends came. (Hi Carla and Tiff!)

Look at the kind of party my sisters and mom put together! The lighting here is terrible but I had to show the adorableness that was the paper lanterns.


And the cake??? My Andrea sister made this. She made the fondant. By herself. Can you believe the love here?? She stayed up until 3:30 in the morning making this cake.


This is five different kinds of fresh lemonade. Pink, mango, mint, strawberry, and plain. Because if one kind is good, 5 is much much better. Right, Drea?? We had grilled hot dogs and bratwurst, and since variety is much better, there were NINE different kinds of mustard! Nine kinds of mustard and five lemonades is a kickin good party, in my opinion.


These are gratuitous little girl pictures, because I just can't resist.



One of my favorite moments was the gift giving. I got 11 pairs of funky socks. This is hysterical to me because of this random tangent...

I have this estranged father. We see each other maybe once a year, and no one enjoys it. We see each other once a year out of obligation. It's a weird situation. But anyway, the other day I got a letter in the mail from them. Instantly my heart softened and I began mentally composing loving letters in response and planning a trip to go see them. Then I opened the letter.

A funky sock exchange chain letter!! As in, you make six copies of this letter and mail them to friends then mail two pairs of funky socks to the top two names on the list then you'll get 36 pairs of funky socks in the mail and DON'T BREAK THE CHAIN!!!!

Now this letter is just gold. As nice as a tender father/daughter familial reconciliation attempt would have been, this letter has given me so much glee. The sheer randomness is brilliant. You just can't make things like this up!

So anyway, my twisted family decided to shower me with funky socks, because yes, we are all snarky and snide like that.

But, can you tell that this has been the most overwhelmingly wonderful birthday of my life?? It makes turning 30 so very worthwhile. I'll turn 30 any old time, now!

Thank you, everyone. I love you all so much!!!!!

Labels: ,

7 comment(s):

Happy Birthday Becca!! I had no idea. What a wonderful day! :)

By Blogger Unknown, at 6:45 PM  

Happy birthday and what a great family you have! I turn 30 this year too :)

By Blogger TheNormalMiddle, at 5:17 PM  

Wow!!! Happy 30th birthday!!! Yesss. There is hope for 30. You've brought me quite a smile. Also, thank your husband for me for Jared's trip out here. I'm so happy about your loving birthday. I saw a becca face in hazel and a steve face in chloe. they've grown up a bit, grown up SO darling. Love you.

By Blogger Emily Jane Price, at 6:36 PM  

Oh, Becca, dear friend...happy belated birthday. I'm sorry I had to miss it (my mom and sister and niece are here this week and flew in that day...). And the 30's are good--don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:01 PM  

Wow sounds like a wonderful time. Happy Be belated birthday!
Love the sock story!!

By Blogger Mrs. Darling, at 8:30 AM  

What a joyful day. I want to copy the 5 lemonade idea. Your family is great. Happy Birthday. The 30's are great!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:58 AM  

It sounds like you had a fantastic birthday! Doesn't it feel great when the people you love the most make so much effort for you?

Your spa day sounded great and also your party! What a creative idea for the lemonades and mustard.

Happy Birthday! :)

By Blogger Suzanne, at 9:11 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home