And together we learn

Friday, April 20, 2007

Jammin, jammin, strawberry jammin

Look what I did last night! My mom found strawberries for 4 dollars a flat. 4 dollars!!! That's 50 cents a pound--how could I not do jam at that price? So I took four flats of these...



and turned them into this...


Fortunately you can't see in the photo the strawberry juice covering every surface of my kitchen. Yikes! But it's worth it, because there are 28 containers of jam, 5 of strawberry syrup, and 7 qts frozen whole berries. So I'm exhausted, but very satisfied. Putting up food is one of the only household jobs with a lasting, tangible sense of satisfaction. Make a great meal--in 15 minutes it's just another mess. Laundry? Don't even get me started on the futility there. But jam? Tangible, beautiful evidence that I am actually doing something around here. And that's worth sore feet and sticky floors any day.

Labels:

6 comment(s):

Woo hoo Becca. Good job! Ive never heard of strawberries for 4 bucks!

By Blogger Mrs. Darling, at 8:18 PM  

That was SOOO cheap. I'm very impressed with what you did with them. I would have scoffed the lot with ice cream.

By Blogger theotherbear, at 10:15 PM  

Wow! What a great price. Maybe this is a dumb question, but I've had to learn all the domestic duties on my own... How did you do it?

By Blogger Vida, at 4:17 PM  

Vida, it's actually really simple. I cut off the tops on the berries, then tossed them into my Bosch mixer to crush them. Then I just followed the instructions on the box of pectin for freezer jam, pour it into the containers, and that's it. You need sugar, corn syrup, lemon juice and pectin, in addition to the fruit.

By Blogger Pant Salesman, at 10:18 PM  

oh, that's really me, just under my husband's account.

By Blogger Pant Salesman, at 10:19 PM  

Becca, I'm always amazed at all the things you are able to do even with three young children running around. I hardly get anything done and I only have one! I want to do more, especially in the food category.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:23 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home