And together we learn

Saturday, March 10, 2007

To do list?? Ha!

I had such great plans for productivity this morning. Oh, I had a list, it was itemized, prioritized, schedulized, in short, things were HAPPENING!!! And then, things did happen. With a vengeance.

Why bother with a to do list when there are small children in the house? Talk about futility. I had just stepped out of the shower and donned my skivvies, when I heard the dreaded CRASH, followed by a quavering, "Um, Mama?"

Chloe, trying to be helpful (or not, we're really not sure) took a gigantic, Costco size container of cocoa powder and dropped it down the stairs. 28 oz. of cocoa powder. All I could do for the first stunned few moments was stammer and blink wildly. Surely, it would all just disappear??

No. It was there to stay. Every time anyone moved, clouds of cocoa dust swirled up, and every step brought cocoa footprints to new areas.

45 minutes later, I emerged. Calvin kept trying to come into the crime scene and sit on my lap, so I utilized a technique that will probably scar him for life. Every time he approached, I turned on his nemesis, the vacuum, and moved it menacingly towards him. He fled in terror every time, which at least bought me a few moments without his 'help.'

Can I just talk about cocoa powder in tile grout?? Better not to.

Bonuses of the whole adventure:
1. The bottom of my stairs is vacuumed, mopped, and the baseboards are clean.

2. It was chocolate! At least the mess SMELLED good. I imagine that had she dropped, say a Costco size jar of sauerkraut, this might not have been as pleasant.

3. Hazel and Chloe rallied and showed some great teamwork to help me get the job done.

4. I won't have to use any air fresheners downstairs for a long time. Eau de Hersheys is a fixture of those carpets now!!

Labels:

5 comment(s):

so, instead of buying those fancy smelly candles I'll just leave somme cocoa powder lying around just asking for "help". Kisses to Chloe.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:13 AM  

This has not happened in my house yet. But I'm sure something like it will soon.

By Blogger Angel, at 5:10 PM  

Yep, I've been there with the cocoa powder. But my first move was to get the dogs safely outside before we had an even bigger (and much smellier) problem.

By Blogger Vida, at 8:37 PM  

Oh so funny in writing. The lids of cocoa powder never seem to stay sealed. I am glad you can see the good in everything.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:30 AM  

I'll nver forget the time when Peter was little and spilled 5 pounds of bulk cocoa powder all over my kitchen and himself. You have my sympathies.

By Blogger Mrs. Darling, at 10:11 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home