And together we learn

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Every simple machine needs a good fulcrum

I saw someplace that in the typical (if there is such a thing) homeschooling life, there are 2 great days, 2 days where you get the minimums done, but not much else, and one humdinger of a survival day. After I saw that, I have been noticing, and it does very much seem to follow that rule of thumb.

Yesterday was one of the good ones. One of the best yet! I've been struggling with some major attitude on the part of Hazel. But after a few (large) punishments, she's started to get over it. Yesterday she was a dream child. None of the snotty looks and comments--she was a joy to be around.

The girls were thrilled to do all their jobs, going beyond what I asked and we got everything done in a hurry. We had fabulous scripture reading, complete with impromptu acting out of Helaman 8. We did copywork, and Hazel didn't just do a little, she was enthusiastic and kept asking for more and more sentences. All day long! And then, she went beyond just copying them to writing her own sentences. Major breakthroughs, that.

The kids played outside in the fresh snow for hours, then came in for some hot chocolate. Steve was installing some door latches in the bathroom cabinets for my sanity.

So Hazel and I were helping, and we started talking about simple machines. We discussed the different kinds, then built our own using a bar of soap, a toothbrush for the lever, and the fulcrum was a tampon. Hey--it worked, and it was very very spontaneous!!!

We had family night with my darling brother and sister-in-law and it was a fabulous end to a great day.

Now the trick is to recreate it today!!

Labels: ,

5 comment(s):

You know, in the past four days, our family has had two great ones and two bare minimum types, and we don't even homeschool. I kind of think that pattern might apply to many families, regardless of schooling. Or maybe it applies to us because I refuse to let them stop learning just because they've left the school? Learning should be an all the time, whenever the opportunity presents itself kind of thing, imo.

By Blogger Vida, at 1:20 PM  

you sure do use tampons for alot of things in your house. Entertainment for the young ones, and study tool for the older ones! *grin*

By Blogger theotherbear, at 7:28 PM  

Amanda, you're cracking me up!!! I happened to have tampons lying on the floor at that opportune moment because the young one had been at it again!!! Hence, the very much needed door locks that the husband was installing.

It's all tied together, you see...

By Blogger Becca, at 8:20 PM  

I have to say I pretty much agree with that statement too. Its too bad every day cant be a great learning day. Sounds like you sure had a good one! Good job!

By Blogger Mrs. Darling, at 10:43 AM  

Becca, here's a link you might like for reading a little Charlotte Mason every day. I think it's funny/great/strange/wonderful that you and I most always seem to be on the same page! (I've been thinking lately about doing CM,too...and have been looking at Ambleside recently (because of Melissa Wiley).
cmblog.homeschooljournal.net
S

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:19 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home