And together we learn

Thursday, February 01, 2007

On breakthroughs and Soul

Hazel has had a major block about reading, and for that reason I've backed waaaay off. We'll play phonics games here and there, but any time I ask her to sound out a word or anything, she gets stressed. I wasn't sure what to do. On the advice of my wonderful Sarah friend, I decided to work with her on a really simple level for a couple minutes a day, then if she continued to resist after a week, I'd back off for a long time.

On Dy's recommendation, I checked out Old Fashioned Education and printed off an old fashioned reader.

After 2 sessions, it clicked. Really clicked, for the first time. She's been pseudo sounding out words for a year, but always with one eye on me to gauge my reaction. But she really, truly, was understanding the relationship between sounds and words. I wrote and abysmally silly little book that we illustrated, and she read it to every person who came over. She put Chloe on her lap and read to her. She read it to Calvin. She was so delighted that she was reading!! That's the first time I've ever seen her excited about it. What a moment!!

This is why I homeschool. I was there for that moment. I saw the joy and pride on her face. Not a teacher, but me. I was discouraged about whether I'm making the right choice in hsing, but this reinforced it so strongly. Yippee!!!!!

Now the soul part. Hazel got a Stevie Wonder CD for her 5th birthday from my brother in law. I thought it was a slightly weird present, amid the Strawberry Shortcake and fairy princess stuff. She glanced at it, said thanks, and set it aside. Recently, she discovered it and has been listening to it over and over. She definitely inherited her daddy's 'rockin out' gene.

The other morning, I went into the kitchen and saw one of the sweetest sights of my life. Steve and Hazel, facing each other dancing, each with their hands in the classic phone position ( you know, with pinky and thumb extended) singing with all their hearts "I just called to say I love you." So incredibly tender!!!!

Labels: ,

4 comment(s):

Beautiful post. I am so happy that it clicked for Hazel. How marvelous that you seemed to know just what to do when. I love home scholling stoires like this. Now I am off to look at An Old Fashion Education.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:04 AM  

How fabulous - 2 great bits of news in one post. The reading thing is great (I am a very addicted reader and would spend all day reading if I could. I would read toilet paper if it had words on it). And to discover she has good taste in music too - icing on the cake. I pretty much hate most music made since the start of the 90's because I am an old dag.

By Blogger theotherbear, at 4:00 PM  

Awww! How sweet!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:34 PM  

Thanks for the link. I'm a homeschooler wannabe. I did have the privilege of helping my daughter learn to read this summer, and it's such a joy to witness such a learning experience first-hand!

By Blogger Becky, at 3:07 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home