And together we learn

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Food coloring fun

A neighbor of mine had some complications with a C-section, so I've been watching her two little girls for a couple hours today.

I thought it would be easy enough to watch the extra kids, make and decorate sugar cookies with them, and make dinner to take to the family. Easy as pie, right??? Yeah. Right.

The kids were fine. You know how it's sometimes easier when there are extras around because they all just play together? It was Calvin who was in rare and impressive form. I had out my cake decorating box because we were doing sugar cookies. It was up on the middle of the counter and Calvin was busy doing something. I ran into the other room, and when I came back...wow. He found the food coloring, opened it, dumped it all over himself and the floor, and played in it! In roughly 30 seconds!!!!

This was one mess that I didn't run for the camera first.

Normally I'm a really good cook. I love to cook. So I made chili and cornbread (pink, in honor of the day, of course) for the family. I soaked my beans overnight, and I thought I was being so clever by doing a mixture of black, pinto and kidney beans. Well, those horrid kidney beans would not soften. The others were disintegrating, and they were rock solid. So, I sorted that gigantic pot bean by bean and got rid of the kidneys. What else can you do when people are waiting for their dinner? Fortunately, it turned out great and the pink cornbread was beautiful.

Labels:

1 comment(s):

Oh I wish you'd taken a photo of that mess :)

By Blogger theotherbear, at 6:46 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home