And together we learn

Monday, February 19, 2007

A recipe and a milestone

First, the milestone. This is post #100!! Incredible. What a random collection of musings and silly kid stories this has been. But oh, so fun. And I've made some wonderful friends along the way.

Next, the recipe. I made a great soup last night. I am such a non-measuring, dump and adjust seasonings kind of cook that if I don't write it down, it's gone forever and will never be exactly duplicated.

Chicken Corn Chowder

Little bit of bacon--maybe about 1/4 lb, chopped into small pieces
1 onion, chopped
around 6 potatoes, cut into chunks
6 cups chicken broth
2 cups cooked cubed chicken
1/2 cup powdered milk made w/ 1 cup water
1 can cream of chicken (or mushroom) soup
1 can corn
1 small zucchini, cut into very small pieces.

I browned the bacon, then set it aside. Using just the teeniest bit of the bacon grease, add the onion and cook until soft. Deglaze the pan with the chicken broth, then add the potatoes. Cook until they're soft. Add the corn and can of soup, then add the milk. Toss in the chicken and add the zucchini(it will cook pretty fast). That's it. Lots of black pepper would be good, unless you had my children then you would have to avoid it like the plague.

We sprinkled a little bit of bacon on the top. A little cheese would have been good sprinkled, if you don't want bacon.

Anyway, it was delicious, easy, and so not bad for you as most chowders go. Using the triple strength powdered milk gives it the same kind of feeling as cream, just without the fat and calories. Optionally, evaporated milk will do the same thing.

Labels:

1 comment(s):

That sounds delicious, and very much like a chowder I make regularly for my family. I might have to start posting some of my favorite recipes soon. :)

By Blogger Vida, at 10:22 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home