And together we learn

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Little breakdown

For scripture study the past few days we've been focusing on kindness. It's kind of a problem around here with the kids (and me, to be perfectly honest). I've found myself yelling at Hazel "Don't you dare use that tone of voice with me!!!!" Less than effective parenting.

So my approach to her attitude this week has been the scriptures. We've memorized Proverbs 31:26 She openeth her mouth with wisdom, and in her tongue is the law of kindness.

Today we did Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith.

We had a fabulous talk about reaping the fruit that you sow, and how you can know who someone is following based on their actions. Chloe did mention that one of the results of good fruit is that the fruit bats will come eat you, but that's beside the point. We decided that we would praise each other by saying "Good fruit!" or mention "Poison fruit!" as the case may be.

It's been a great day. Hard, long at times, but good. And I've been a good mom. But I'll be honest, this 24/7 alone parenting can be very wearing. Steve's schedule has been brutal lately, and he's been home around 16 hours a week. I need some alone time!!! My little sister was supposed to come babysit for me, but she bailed at the last minute. I wanted to go run some errands alone, so I called my other sisters, but no one could come over. But you deal with it, and it's ok.

So I got them to bed, we had a wonderful nighttime routine, all was peaceful. Steve called over the computer to have a video conversation 3 minutes later, and the girls were wild to talk to him. But somehow, that silly little inconsequential setback in my solitude was enough to put me right over the edge! I pouted and stormed and hustled them none too gently into bed when they were done talking. They both cried and told me I was poison fruit, and I just cried. I knew I was being horrible to them for no reason, but I had just reached that point.

I called Steve and sobbed hysterically. I've been so good all semester, and this is the first time I've cried so far. And cry I did!! But wouldn't you know it, as I was bawling, my precious little girls tiptoed in, gave me a kiss, and wrapped me up in their blankies, then crawled back in bed. Makes me cry again just to think about it!!

Steve though, snapped me out of it when he asked me what day it is. Suddenly it clicked. Backache, insatiable craving for chocolate, and out of control emotions. Checking the day of the month made everything much more clear!!

5 comment(s):

Hugs to you. I don't know how you do it. I am a puddle after only a few days without the help of my husband. I hope you are feeling better this morning and find the strength to continue parenting in your wonderful way.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:50 AM  

Ha, ha! Isn't it nice when you realize the end of the world will only last about five day? So sorry for your bad day!

By Blogger Jenn, at 6:59 AM  

Oh Becca I cried reading this. There is not a mother out there that cant relate to the feeling of being over the edge. I love your idea of poison fruit and good fruit. It's a great way to get the kids to think about what they're actually saying and doing.

By Blogger Mrs. Darling, at 8:36 AM  

I loved reading this. You are such an amazing parent and spouse! I feel like I should sit down and take some lessons from you for a while.

By Blogger Unknown, at 5:12 PM  

Oh, sweetie, I'm right there with you!

By Blogger Vida, at 2:14 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home