And together we learn

Friday, December 08, 2006

Joy cometh in the morning

Thank you all so much for the expressions of love and encouragement. THIS is why we blog, I think. To be part of a community that is so much bigger than our neighborhoods, where wonderful and supportive women can come together. It means so much to me to know that even when I feel isolated, there are people who are so quick to offer a word of advice and hope. Thank you all!!

Today is a much better day. I actually slept decently last night. The last couple of nights all three kids have been in bed with me, and that just doesn't lend itself to restful slumber. My dear neighbor showed my girls 'Goosebumps' videos...Chloe thinks the book Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is 'vewwy scawwy' because the letters fall out of the coconut tree. Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, all far too frightening for them. Basically anything with conflict is not ok. So Goosebumps??? Yeah, they've had nightmares for days.

In trying to help my poor paranoid little girls, I encouraged them to sing Primary songs, say a prayer, or think happy thoughts. I told them a long and involved story about the princess of the butterflies.

Do you ever wonder if certain phrases that come out of your mouth have ever been uttered before? How about "The Princess of the Butterflies put wings on Hazel and flew with her to Makeup Land." Or another, that we wondered about over Thanksgiving. "Does your plastic Bok Choy want to wear the lace trimmed jacket that is on my broccoli?" (We were dressing the play food in doll clothes).

I'm finding as a mother that I say some really weird things.

Steve is flying home tonight from New York. He went to his favorite pizza place, got 22 pizzas, and is bringing them home tonight for a party!! We invited around 45 people, and we have some kegs of rootbeer (yes, actual kegs), and it should be wildly fun.

So I'm taking a quick blogging break, then I'll return to my frantic cleaning of my out of control house. Mrs. Darling, you'd be so disappointed in the state of my pantry and closets!!! I need your wise tutelage on this one. But I'm trying, dang it!

Whew! This was a rambling post. Thank you all again!

Labels:

7 comment(s):

Have fun eating your NYC pizza! What's his favorite place? Mine is John's, which is near Time Square.

By Blogger jlk, at 12:50 PM  

I'm with your kids on the scary movie thing - my hubby loves scary movies and I just can't sit through one. I have terrible nightmares. We sat through the first 5 minutes of one a while ago and I had the lights burning all night!

22 pizzas and kegs of root beer! Sounds fab - have a great time :)

By Blogger theotherbear, at 1:52 PM  

I am so glad you are feeling better! I cannot imagine having my husbnad gone so much you are one amazing mama to even try to be cheerful!

By Blogger mama, at 1:53 PM  

I'm sorry things have been hard lately. 22 pizzas will most certainly help! I'm sending up a little prayer for your family.
Jenn

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:00 PM  

That's a lot of pizza! I can't believe you didn't invite me!

By Blogger Lara, at 10:06 PM  

Wouldnt that be fun if we could all go the party? Actual root beer kegs? Thats soemthing a fundamental baptist like me can really get into! LOl

And hey becca my linen closet is messy right now. I dont keep everything all done all the time...well almost...but not All the time, uh, er, well yeh my house gets, messy like everyone elses. I'm just a little nuerotic in the area of a messy house so you'll have to forgive me. You should however take a peek at my office. It's a grand mess from putting up christmas stuff. Oh yeah, you realy should see it.

By Blogger Mrs. Darling, at 8:34 AM  

Hi Becca, I meant to come back over and comment on your last post. I am so happy to see you are feeling better. My dh travels and I am often grumpy from holding the home together and I only have one child. You deserve to be a bit overwhelmed. I hope you are able to take care of yourself in the coming weeks.

I was talking to my MIL on the phone a few days ago and Cate said she was going to go poo poo with her pants pulled up. I said "You cannot go to the potty with your pants pulled up because you will get poo poo all over yourself." My MIL responded by telling me I really needed to get out more and talk to adults. Yes-I think mommies say the strangest things. Take care.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:51 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home