And together we learn

Monday, December 04, 2006

Early Reading Meme

One of my favorite bloggers, Nina over at Painted Rainbows and Chamomile Tea, tagged me for this fun meme. I've seen it around and wanted to do it, so this is a perfect opportunity.

1. How old were you when you learned to read and who taught you?

I have only one memory of NOT being able to read. I remember very clearly sitting in my car seat, watching the billboards go by on the freeway. I was quite frustrated and remember distinctly saying to myself, "I have got to figure out what those mean!"

I taught myself to read shortly after that. I think I was around 2 1/2, and I first read something over my mom's shoulder in the newspaper. I was one of those slightly weird kids like that.

2. What books do you remember owning as a child?

We had lots of picture books. I remember The Little Rabbit and all the other charming animal books in that series. I remember my grandmothers voice reading Paddington Bear and Dr. Dolittle to me. There are so many books that I loved as a child.

3. What is the first book you remember buying with your own money?

That's a tough one. I'm not sure, but it was probably some silly Babysitters Club books. Preteens aren't the wisest with money.

4. Were you a re-reader as a child? If so, what did you read the most often?

I was, and am, a complete re-reader. I read really fast, and as a little girl I just couldn't get new books fast enough. So I had to re-read out of sheer necessity. Not that I minded. I still love to read books over and over again, because they become part of you. I can quote whole passages from many of my favorite books. Things I read the most as a child...let's see. The Beverly Cleary books. All the Frances Hogson Burnett books. Louisa May Alcott, over and over again. Encyclopedia Brown, The Great Brain books, Caddie Woodlawn, Little House, and basically anything and everything I could get my hands on.

5. What is the first adult book that captured your interest and how old were you when you read it?

The first really adult books I remember getting engrossed in were probably the James Herriot books--All Things Bright and Beautiful, and the rest of them. I read those dozens of times, starting when I was probably 13 or so. I loved the Piers Anthony Xanth books, and Agatha Christie mysteries. These are the adult books I started with, because these were some of the adult books we had in the house.

6. Are there any children's books you passed by as a child and learned to love as an adult?

I just recently discovered Understood Betsy, and I'm amazed I never found it as a child. I would have read it obsessively then! And Cynthia Rylant books are pure gold. It's so fun having these little girls so I can introduce them to my old favorites, and discover new ones together.

I'm going to tag my wonderful sister in law Emily and Amanda atOur lot in life.

Labels:

5 comment(s):

BABYSITTERS CLUB! I loved those books. And I am just now reading Understood Betsy as well.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:22 AM  

I read Understood Betsy over and over as a kid and for some reason I sent it to goodwill this summer. I have no idea what came over me!

By Blogger Mrs. Darling, at 6:52 AM  

I used to love the Piers Anthony Xanth books - they were probably the books I first bought with my own money.

By Blogger theotherbear, at 1:55 PM  

It is so wonderful that you remember learning to read. What a great experience. I read Understood Betsy a few years ago and loved it. The Babysitter's Club author has come a long way since the BSC. She won a Newbery Honor for A Corner of the Universe. I just noticed that she has a new book called Ten Kids, No Pets. It might be a fun read to your girls. I adore Rylant. She has so many series books as well. Henry and Mudge, Mr Putter and Tabby, and Cobble Street Cousins. Also, I loved Gooseberry Park. Rylant has a Christmas book entitled Christmas in the Country. It is worth checking from the library. Can you tell I love books! Great meme.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:29 PM  

Incredible that you learned how to read so young, and taught yourself. Thanks for the tag. I finally got mine up.

By Blogger Amanda, at 9:06 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home