And together we learn

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Double injustice

The day begin well. Wonderfully, actually. Hazel went to see the play Curious George with her friend, Chloe, Calvin and I played at the McDonald's playland (yuck), and all was right with the world. My dear friend Sarah came over for lunch, and we had an all-around fabulous time.

Then Chloe went down for a second nap, which should have been my first clue that something was amiss. After a fairly large hassle with the IRS and the accountant and sundry forms that I apparently misplaced, I was already quite frazzled. Then my sweet Chloe started complaining of an owie throat and had a fever. Mommy alarms went off! Since I had that horrible bout with strep last week, I hustled her off the the nighttime pediatrician for the magical pink stuff that will make it all better.

She definitely has strep, AND she has a bad case of hand foot and mouth disease. The injustice of it all! Blisters all over her mouth and her throat that has strep? I can't stand to think how much the poor little thing is hurting. But saying hand,foot and mouth always makes me thing of some large farm animal diseases--I guess I read too much James Herriot with all the hoof and mouth descriptions.

Its funny just how fast she went from feeling fine to very very sick. As a result, there are small children all over the valley who have been exposed to not one, but TWO highly contagious childhood diseases. Sorry Sarah!!!

Calvin just woke up--I went in and the poor baby is burning up with fever. Looks like I'm in for it for the next couple of days!

2 comment(s):

Oh Becca, Please know that we'll be DELIGHTED to get both strep and hand foot mouth disease in our family in 3-7 days (according to the website I perused). It will be worth it to have spent such lovely hours in your company!
hee hee (I'm laughing now but may not be...by the way I'm so sorry you have to deal with sick kiddos all alone). And another by the way: it WAS a delightful bunch of hours with you---so please NO GUILT (really: it's not our fault when our kids get sick). We love you all---
Sarah

By Blogger Sarah, at 10:33 AM  

Hooray, Sarah's here! Thanks for commenting, dear friend of mine.

By Blogger Becca, at 3:27 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home