And together we learn

Friday, September 08, 2006



5 years already. Everything changed that day. I look at my little children now and they have never known another world.

I was pregnant with my first baby, and on bed rest. We were living in the Bay area. Steve had just left for the gym to work out, and I was trying to come up with something to keep me busy for yet another day in bed. Then he called from the gym. 'Something's happening', he told me. 'Turn on the radio.' (being the very newlyweds that we were, we didn't even own a tv).

So I turned on the radio, and listened, in the same incredulous disbelief as the rest of the nation, as our world changed.

Steve came home--work was cancelled. We went to my aunts home and spent the day on the couch, glued to the screen. I distinctly remember hearing the name 'Osama bin Laden' for the first time. The towers fell. The Pentagon. United 93. When I think of that day all I can remember is confusion and pain.

I've never tried to write about it before, and it's interesting that the feelings are still so raw.

The close knit feeling in the country in the weeks after is also something I won't forget. We felt united, and that was something very comforting to hold onto.

2 comment(s):

leaving my calling card -- to let you know I stopped by to share your memories

By Blogger Pamela, at 1:48 PM  

My first visit here and I too have those raw memories. Thank you for sharing yours. It is so important that we never forget.

By Blogger Swampwitch, at 11:31 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home