And together we learn

Monday, December 10, 2007

Time for a quick update

I have about 2 1/2 minutes to post a quick update while I'm waiting for laundry to dry. We're off on a new adventure tomorrow, and I'm trying to get ready for it.

Christmas is the most amazing time with babies around. The delight as a two ear old discovers all the joys of the season is something that never gets old. The lights on the tree, the nativities, the candles--everything is a source of perpetual wonder to him.

It has snowed every day for the past 5 days or so. We're having such a great time playing and coasting in it, plus it's gorgeous. But it was very wet and heavy the night the bulk of it fell--so much that when I was out shoveling, I bent the snow shovel right in half! Stupid made in China junk.

The other night I took the kids to a live Nativity. Absolutely indescribable. I've never seen anything so elaborate and just plain amazing. They had a camel, llama, goats and sheep. The costumes were stunning, and the whole set up was just gorgeous (do you think I can fit any more superlatives into the paragraph?? I'll try). After passing the wise men and camel, there was a doorway and a soldier allowed you into 'Bethlehem.' Once in, you were transported to the dusty crowded streets of a busy village. There was a stall with a father and his son were carpenters, actually carving and smoothing a log. A potter had a wheel and was making jugs. Women filled pitchers of water at a fountain. Beggars were at your feet, and people were busy buying and selling food of all kinds. Amazing. Periodically there were doors with innkeepers letting us know there was "no room in the inn." And then you rounded a corner, and there was the family. I was expecting it, of course--that's the whole reason for coming! But somehow, I was stunned by the sight and just started to cry. So beautiful and humbling. Just a little baby, wrapped up in a simple piece of cloth, and it's parents. So profound. I'm still touched by the impact it had, days later.

Seeing as the evening was spent with my children, there were of course some choice moments. Like as we approached the camel pen, we came from behind. There were lots of people around and there wasn't a clear, direct view. It was just big and brown. As my kids stood looking at it's bulk, loud and clear came Hazel's, "Well, it's definitely NOT a gorilla!"

Isn't that the truth!

Labels: ,

2 comment(s):

Well now I want to find a live nativity to go to. And the snow? Oh bother, I shouldnt have read this. Now Im just all kinds of envious!

By Blogger Mrs. Darling, at 4:37 PM  

Where was it???? Is it still happening?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:54 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home