And together we learn

Friday, May 11, 2007

Still shaking

The weight of this motherhood job is crushing with it's responsibility sometimes.

There was a bevy of little neighborhood kids outside playing with my small fry. I was inside, right next to the open back door where I could see and hear them. After gardening all day I was taking a small break while they happily played.

My peacefulness was shattered when a knock came at the door. A big, burly man stood there and asked,

"That yer kid?"

My baby boy was running around, pushing a stroller in the middle of the road. A busy road.

The man continued.

"Almost hit him with my 1 ton truck. Good thing I saw him."

Just writing this makes me cry. He slipped out through the gate that I thought was shut. I could hear and see the kids playing, but I didn't count heads. My darling baby boy was in such danger, and I didn't even know it. I feel like such a horrible horrible horrible mother. It's my first, primary, most basic job to keep these little people safe. All the other stuff we try to do pales in comparison if they are in physical harm. But because I wasn't vigilant enough, my baby could have been killed.

4 comment(s):

Oh Becca, I'm so sorry.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:37 AM  

That is so scary!! Don't be too hard on yourself. Kids are sneaky little devils sometimes and can get into trouble fast! So glad that he is okay.

By Blogger Amanda, at 1:39 PM  

Becca, that is scary. I'd be shaking too. But don't let this hurt your spirit in anyway. Now you know, you know he is interested in the street and has the ability to break away from the group! Use that knowledge and try to relax over this. (((hugs)))

By Blogger Brandie, at 7:45 PM  

Oh Becca, I can only imagine that you are upset with yourself. You know these things happen but it won't stop the heart pounding thoughts you will have in the middle of the night. Hold those babies close. You are a great mother to a very inventive little guy. God blesses you every day in so many ways. Sending you hugs and good thoughts.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:22 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home