And together we learn

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Smatterings

I'm sitting here at the computer, but not exactly sure what I want to post. So I think I'll just ramble and see where we end up.

The last two days we've spent nearly every moment outside. This whole weeding thing is going to be the death of me, but I'm not going to let it get out of control like I did last summer. I figure if I weed one bed a day, taking Sunday off, then they shouldn't take too long if i'm just maintaining. Right? Of course, the vegetable garden isn't scheduled in there, so I'll have to squeeze that one in, too. Provided I can ever get neighbor boy-who-has-the-rototiller over and I can actually plant said vegetable garden.

We went miniature golfing last night for family night. Steve's home now for the summer (HOORAY!!) so we're spending tons of family time, just soaking it in. Calvin in particular is so attached to him. I think he's afraid if he lets Steve out of his sight, he'll go on another plane. But anyway. Mini golf. So fun!! A lot chaotic, and definitely no scorecards for anyone. I would hit the ball with Calvin, then he'd chase after it and go drop it in the whole, then clap proudly for himself. Hazel worked doggedly at it, and could get the ball in herself after 20 or so shots. Chloe golfed with Steve's help, and danced and sang and daydreamed as she's want to do. Altogether as fun a night as you could imagine.

We read Barbara McClintock's version of The Little Princess about 3 times today. Also the book Dahlia, by her, that my girls adored. So fun! We've been doing Gulliver's Travels (an abridged version, but still very rich in language and detail) for a read aloud. It has sparked some fabulous conversations and imaginations.

It's amazing just how quickly the whole house can go from spotless to umm, not. One day of gardening, not cleaning, plus an afternoon of playdough and a large Calvin spill from dinner. Oy vey. Lots of work this evening.

Oh, speaking of Calvin. I was transferring laundry yesterday. Pulled out of the washing machine 2 markers, thankfully with the lids on, 7 foam stamp things, and 1 tube of Strawberry Shortcake toothpaste, also miraculously still closed. Oy vey indeed!!

Labels: , ,

5 comment(s):

Yikes you sure got lucky with those pens in the laundry. It sure sounds like every one is busy these days. I have some plants to pot too. I put some seeds in today but tomorrow I totally plan to work in the garden.

By Blogger Mrs. Darling, at 10:15 PM  

Lucky indeed with the laundry incident! Kids are great at keeping you on your toes! ;)

I spent the day outside yesterday doing yard work. It felt so good. I am officially ready to have school out and summer start. Can hardly wait to plant the garden.

By Blogger Amanda, at 3:15 PM  

Hmm, I'm still spinning out that you can get Strawberry Shortcake toothpaste. How could your teeth feel clean with that?

By Blogger theotherbear, at 7:59 PM  

I hear you. Nothing quite so revolting as strawberry flavored toothpaste!! But these bizarre children of mine think it's fabulous. ~~Shudder~~

By Blogger Becca, at 8:06 PM  

I just got the book Dahlia and the book on tape. I am hoping that Citcat will like it since she is really not very fond of baby dolls. She did ask if she could have a baby doll last week. So now I have to figure out which one to buy.

I admire your optimism about the weeds and gardens. I was out working in our clay hard ugly yard a few days ago and came in totally discouraged. We have a long way before weeding is the first priority.

About the laundry, don't let your little ones have gum. My dh chews gum for his breath and it is a mess if a piece goes into the wash or the dryer.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:49 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home