And together we learn

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Accomplishments

I just planted arugula, parsley, basil (Thai and Genovese), dill, lemon balm, cilantro, spearmint(this time in a container so it doesn't do what it's ill-mannered and pushy cousin, peppermint, did), and rosemary. The oregano and sage from last year surprised me by being perennials, and they are lush and luxuriant.

I made tripod supports out of bamboo for snap peas, and another for cucumbers--slicing, pickling, and lemon.

I made the bamboo teepee frame for the kids' bean/moonflower hideaway, but I need to have the garden plot rototilled before I can set it up and plant.

I weeded. Oh, how I weeded.

And now, I'm TIRED!! Calvin is set up on the deck with bowls of water, cups and spoons, so he's happy for a few minutes.

I have six huge flower beds, and the weeding is never ending. That doesn't even count the garden plot. I'd rather spend money and effort on things to eat, so I intersperse herbs, greens, beets, and cucumbers with the flowers in my beds in the back. As long as you're weeding/watering/mulching all summer, there might as well be food as a result, no?

May is here, that means we're safely out of the last frost threat, so I'm just itching to get everything in. Gotta find some neighbor boy to rototill, then I can get the tomatoes, peppers, squash, broccoli, carrots, chard, and another row of beets in.

I think dinner needs to be something easy tonight!

Labels:

5 comment(s):

Oh Becca! Such gardening! I'm so impressed and a little jealous..but so impressed!
You called---I find myself buried under everyday life and can't seem to get to half of my to-do list during daylight hours. I'm in a bit of a funk. But will try to call tomorrow...(we'll see if it happens). We miss you, though...and your trip looked fabulously exhaustingly fabulous.
:)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:23 PM  

Wow, that all sounds great. I just planted basil not so long ago, and it's grown too big for the rather large pot! I don't know if it repots well though.
Useless information for you today: In Australia, Arugula is called Rocket, Cilantro is called Coriander and Peppers are called Capsicum.
:)

By Blogger theotherbear, at 10:34 PM  

Amanda, I get the coriander and capmsicum, but rocket?? Funny.

By Blogger Becca, at 11:43 PM  

The garden sounds great. Your comment about peppermint makes me a bit leary about planting it. We have a huge wooded back yard. I thought peppermint might be something to use as a green ground cover.

I liked what you said about Calvin. Whenever I used to set Citcat up with something I imagined it would provide "minutes of entertainment." I would love to see pictures of your garden for inspiration.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:21 AM  

How fun that you have a garden! It sounds like you've planted a lot of yummy things and fresh produce from the yard is the best! :)

By Blogger Suzanne, at 2:08 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home