And together we learn

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Oh, the horror!!

Calvin is a tender-hearted baby. He doesn't like certain loud noises, and is deathly afraid of a few things. The vacuum cleaner, and the garbage truck, for example. Oh, and the car wash. Talk about trauma!!! But tonight I found something to top all the rest of his fears.

He was in the bathtub (quite possibly his favorite spot in the world) and I was putting some clothes away in the hall closet. He started shrieking that cry--the one that makes you run because you know it's something really serious. I dashed in there and found him frantically trying to climb out of the tub, downright hysterical. Why--What was so horrible? Snakes in the plumbing? No, much much worse.

Bubbles.

Yes, that's right. There was a rogue thing of baby wash that was partly open, and there were bubbles in the tub.

He curled up on my lap, a shaking, shivering, dripping wet little bundle of baby. He averted his head away from the terrifying bubbles and nestled into me for a long time. Only when all the horribleness had popped could he get back in the tub. Then he was happy and splashed like there was never a problem.

I was laughing, but his terror was very real to him. He's loved bubble baths in the past, so I guess I'll have to chalk this one up to an emerging random toddler fear. Poor baby!

2 comment(s):

Could have been worse, eh - could have been 'floaters' in the bath water! hehe...

By Blogger theotherbear, at 5:06 PM  

Ohhhh, poor little guy! I mean, I'm LOL, here, but... ok, that's just sweet. And one day, that will make a delightful "Oh, when Calvin was little..." story, won't it?

By Blogger Dy, at 11:26 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home