And together we learn

Sunday, September 17, 2006

An unexpected blessing

Turns out that the baby has a ruptured eardrum, poor little man. Between him and Chloe both crying for hours a day, I've been just a wee bit frazzled. And then poor Hazel has been stir crazy and starved for mama affection, so we're all around a mess.

Then what to my wondering eyes should appear this morning?? None other than my amazing wonderful husband. He flew home this morning so he could hold his sick babies and give me a respite. He was just planning on staying in CA over the weekend, but he flew home as a surprise!!! I'm so incredibly grateful. The kids have been overjoyed, and he gave Chloe such an amazing blessing. She's doing better already. So anxious was the wonderful man to help out, that he OFFERED to change Calvin's horrible diaper--cloth no less (which he normally resists) AND to even rinse it in the toilet!!! Will wonders never end?

So now that my knight in shiny armor came to my rescue, my outlook has brightened considerably.

Before I knew that Calvin's eardrum was ruptured (I just thought he was fussy because he was sleepy), I took him and Hazel to a pioneer reenactment at the park. It was so fabulous! We got to see a bunch of our dear homeschool friends who we haven't seen all summer long. They got to take a ride on a cart pulled by oxen, have a stick horse race,and play in a pioneer kitchen. Who knew a nutmeg grater and a mortar and pestle could keep 4 kids busy for half an hour?

Looking at the covered wagon was very humbling. It was much smaller than what I had always pictured. All your possessions, food, tools, seeds, clothing, bedding, everything, in that tiny little space. We live in such incredible luxury--it kind of makes me ashamed. I love what Owlhavenis doing with her 30 days of nothing. Such a great way to help kids appreciate the abundance we really have.

That was a lot of rambling to say that I'm so very grateful for my darling husband!!!

1 comment(s):

What a sweet man. There's nothing like sick kids to make a tired mommy!

By Blogger Mrs. Darling, at 8:26 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home