And together we learn

Friday, April 01, 2011

So we live in Mexico now. Been here for a month. Crazy, no? Since living in a foreign country is kind of a big deal in terms of life experiences, some kind of a record is probably in order. So, Andrea, Stephanie, Emily, Britt, and everyone else who has been hinting---this is for you!!!

Our maid came today. The one who works for 12 dollars a day. She comes at 7 in the morning with 2 liters of fresh squeezed orange juice. Seriously. Then she spends 4 hours mopping, scrubbing, and washing dishes. She might be one of my very favorite things about this country. 12 dollars a day??? Tell me you wouldn't do the exact same thing if you were here.

We kept the kids home from school today--there was a field trip that we didn't send them on, and sometimes I just miss them. The boys played with water in the sink and the girls had a Barbie extravaganza going on. And of course we watched The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band. I was super smart and packed exactly 4 movies. TOaOGOFB being one of them. I'm so glad I've watched it 15 times now. And also that Calvin thinks the US has 38 states. If you haven't seen this Disney classic yet, it's darling. Just a bit much after the 15th viewing. But there really isn't anything better than hearing Sammy sing all the songs word for word.

Steve took the big kids to the Purissima (farmer's market) late tonight. They bought 3 kilos of mangos for $1.50, 2 kilos of strawberries for $3, fresh pineapple, and apples. Oh, and a kilo is 2.2 pounds. Steve says that when he's weighing the pros and cons of living here permanently, the purissima instantly throws the balance in favor of staying here forever. I'm not quite so convinced, but there are definitely some pretty amazing things about this place.

There. Now the first post is done, and that was the hardest part. Pictures, stories, you name it, they're all going to be flowing here at my little URL!!! What else am I going to do with my life of leisure here?

7 comment(s):

You are my hero and I love you. Thank you for blogging. Will you record Sammy singing Let's Put it Over with Grover? Please? I miss all of your faces, so I request pictures, too. Not that I'm demanding or anything...

By Blogger Andrea Y., at 11:01 PM  

No, we are demanding pictures, but of course we are doing it in the most loving way possible :) Sister, I love you! Please kiss all the babies for me. I miss you so much! I agree with Face, a video of Sammy singing wouldn't make me upset.

By Blogger Newt, at 10:35 AM  

Looking forward to your adventures. Living in a foreign country has been my adventure for the past 13 1/2 year.

By Blogger Jacqueline, at 11:39 AM  

Yay, yay, yay. Thank you. And yes, lots of pictures and videos and such. And many funny stories and crazy adventures and then maybe some more pictures. Allie still has to be reminded almost every day that you live in Mexico. Today she asked if you lived "by the volcano." I told her that I sure hoped not. You know, 'cause you never know when random volcanoes in mexico might go 'splodin'. I love you and all your little ones and even the little one that is not in the world yet. Keep blogging please!

By Blogger Emily, at 11:51 PM  

More, more, more! Please, pretty please.

By Anonymous Sarah, at 3:28 PM  

wondering where you are in mexico?

By Blogger Becky J., at 8:32 AM  

WOOHOO!! life of leisure indeed. Enjoy the fruit that sounds wonderful. I hope you can find someone to connect with...I would be quite lonely.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:20 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home